The Center for Historic Shipwreck Preservation is a private, independent, not-for-profit corporation dedicated to research and education at the frontiers of undersea exploration.
Its three-fold mission is to promote research in the Golden Age of Piracy era in the fields of archaeology and archival research, to organize educational exhibitions, and publish educational and research findings, and to conduct research projects and expeditions to these purposes.
To fulfill this mission, it must:
- encourage creativity, innovation and achievement within a multi-disciplinary and collaborative environment;
- utilize advanced technologies and methods to conduct effective project research and communication whether at sea, in the lab, at the museum, or in the classroom;
- research, discover, explore, excavate, recover, preserve and display historic artifacts, thereby pushing back the frontier of our knowledge of mankind’s maritime past;
- study selected processes and characteristics of the sea, as they relate to mankind;
- promote a wider interest, understanding and enjoyment of maritime history, underwater archaeology and ocean studies by communicating its discoveries in articles, books, web-pages, videos, films and other media, as well as by exhibitions, lectures, seminars, field schools and other educational work to a variety of audiences.
- secure the essential resources to sustain these activities;
The Center will be recognized as standing for a core set of values:
- excellence in underwater archaeology, maritime history and marine studies;
- leadership in the field of underwater exploration;
- independence and creativity in its research and communications activities;
- and its scrupulous attention to historical, archaeological and scientific evidence.
The Center will be recognized as the leading underwater exploration organization in the Americas, and will be seen as an influential leader worldwide.
The Center will be seen as creative, effective and efficient and will be regarded as a role model for similar organizations.
It will accomplish this by the quality of its staff, its use of the best available technologies and methods to deliver its services, and its stability through prudent management and effective fund-raising activities.